Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Singha Farms .. the professional way

Seems I'm getting the hang of it .. and soon probably will be hooked onto it . By now you must have realised that we are an average farming family who wanted to do things differently than the conventional farmers -- and that is to try and reach the final consumers directly .

So in order to do this I finally went to a designer and got a logo for my farm ... got some brochures made ... got a friend to help me with a web site ( hes doing it for free ;-) ) .. and then started calling up all friends, relatives and acquaintances in Gurgaon to refer me to their friends and relatives who had lil kids at home . After spreading the word , I started ringing up the all those who showed a lil interest and wanted to know more . I had started of thinking that i would get 3-4 families to sign up after speaking with 10 -- meaning a conversion rate of about 40% , but interstingly so far almost everyone who we spoken to is willing to sign up which gives us a solid boost of confidence as I've been very nervous .

We have invested a lot of time and money .. losing sleepless nights setting up the farm for the cows to be comfortable . We not confining the cows the way most dairies around do as we feel that teh cow should choose where it feels comfortable and rest accordingly . A lot of farmers who run commercial dairies who came and saw the set up feel that we being stupid and it would be a loss as a unit coz we wasting lots of space which can be ussed for holding more animals . But I guess time will only tell ....

As of now only 6 cows have come in ... we expecting more as per the demand from the people of Gurgaon . We are capable of handling upto 30 cows , meaning the barns and play area are designed for about 30 of them . If we have to go beyond that number then we will have to do some more construction .

The cows have settled in though we still getting used to their calls ... In about a weeks time we will start delivering the milk to all those who have become members of the farm and then we will see how it goes . Meanwhile we looking for names for the cows so if you have any suggestions ... pls post them in the comments !!! The comments will also give us support in our endeavour to continue with what our family believes in .

Also I take this time to thank a lot of my friends who have shown a lot of encouragement and support . From friends who I met online on my hang out forums who I have never seen but helped me in choosing my logo , thinking of a name to friends who helped me design my brochure to others who threw in their suggestions keeping the bigger picture of the project in mind . A friend of mine from an online forum who I never met and lives in Kochi put me in contact with a friend of hers who lives in Gurgaon, and she in turn has also helped me ... inspite of me chewing her brains at odd hours for odd favors . This project has also made me expand my social network as well as made me meet people who I can refer to as friends . Thanx guys .. I OWE YOU LOADS , though dunno how many of them will read this thanx .

More later .....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey baba, you're always welcome to my help, even if I've never met you in person.

This, by the way, is the first farmer blog I've ever seen.

Great job on the whole project. I'm sure it's going to kick ass.

- Boom

P.S. Those cows sure look tasty!

Anonymous said...

Names for cows-suggestions:
Can name them on Indian rivers
Can also just give them names based on their personality--gives them a uniqueness.
Can give them names of famous female character from Indian mythology/history.
I would suggest you stick to Indian names.

Mansi Midha said...

way to go saazid!
you've talked about this for so long and its great to see it all coming together... wish you all the best...

:)

Anonymous said...

a wonderful srite up. very inspiring that you are doing something for the enhancement of food that we eat.

wish you all the best and as far as the cows are concerned, do it like the film iqbal, name them after cricketers.

manaa

p.s please choose cricketers who play well.

Anonymous said...

It is Professional, not proffesional.

Miss T said...

hey boozieee.....finally did read the entire blog...n a pretty damn good job u've done with it.....u know im there if u need help on the pr front.....:-) i guess i will volunteer to be ur advisor on that bit...hehe...

cheers
taru

Mckool said...

Hey buddy,

It is truly wonderful notion,
Organics is the way to go, a mandate owing to our changed lifestyle and the toxins injected into the animals/soils to boost the production, which make them so nice to appear, however posses zero or minimal nutrition.

There are specialized superstores selling organic stuff at a premium. Maintain your quality & service and I am sure you’re gonna do great.


Have a good one...

Anonymous said...

BOOZIE!!!!
Waiting for Updates man..
How goes the milking of the cows??

Anonymous said...

great blog, saaz.

finally got to read it as i've got the computer to myself..

LOL!!

Asaavi Farms said...

guys , pls leave your names atleast when you post a comment so that I know who you are ;-)

Unknown said...

Good job with the Blog. All I knew was that you were into farming and stuff - atleast i know more now. How about a guided tour of the place .. :)

p.s.
you can name the cows on t-bhp moderators .. and when your business grows you can start off with D-bhpians .. hope your no. of cows grow to finally make you borrow Senior-bhpian names :D

hehe

this was a JOKE btw, hope GTO doesn't ban me :P

Unknown said...

hi there
I am Vinay, we usually meet up at the rally schools. I have been officiating at the Desert and autox. Read your blog- organic farming-commendable job- how can we guys benefit from it can get some more families lined up for the organics send me details

Shadow

Shadow
with a lil St.Bernard pup !!!

DUKE ..

DUKE ..
Hes adopted that lil kitten